You are here

liability threshold models for dealing more than 2 Categorite data

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
lingsuer87's picture
liability threshold models for dealing more than 2 Categorite data

hello, Everyone!

I am a green hand for OpenMx study. Although I took a "behavior genetics" course, and have some experience about using SEM to deal with continuous data in the practical. I do not anything about liability threshold model since yesterday. Now i need estimate the heritability of two variables which both contain more than 2 categorite. I want set up two univariate liability threshold model first, and set up a bivariate model. However, there is limited information for me to start. I read some articles about liability threshold models. Almost of them are talking about dichotomous data ( like case-control study), few about ordinal data. So I am wondering is anybody here could give me as a beginner some suggestion about using liability threshold models deal with more than 2 cartegory variable data (classical review, slides or example scripts will be helpful.)? If, so I will be very appreciated!

neale's picture
Yes,VIPBG NIDA workshop

See http://www.vipbg.vcu.edu/NIDAworkshop2012/NIDAworkshop.shtml

On Tuesday 8am, Sarah Medland gave presentation and example scripts for twin data with ordinal variables, but the session was not videorecorded.

lingsuer87's picture
thanks,and question with starting value

Thank you so much Ben, I got a lot of information from the material. However, I can not find the saturated model in her script(just ACE model). I am trying to figure out how to do saturated model, but i was stuck at setting starting values.

As I know, I need three starting values.

1. Starting value for threshold. My phenotype is coded as (1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,3) . So my starting value for threshold is 1,right?
  2. Starting value for MZ correlation. I use the correlation function in SPSS, rMZ=0.952, so I need set it 0.952
  3. Starting value for DZ correlation. I use the correlation function in SPSS, rDZ=0.464, so I need set it 0.464.

However, I am not sure if I am right, especially rMZ and rDZ. In SPSS I use analysis –correlation –bivariate. (twin1 ,twin2) pearson, 2-tailed, to get the correlation. Could you tell me if I did it right? but, I read somewhere Starting value for MZ correlation is expected correlation not observed so. Maybe I am still not correct here.

Thank you so much again!

Bochao Lin(the Chinese girl beside you in Dorret's dinner 7th April 2013 Boulder. :) )