Fedora 17 and libnpsol

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
phurd's picture
Fedora 17 and libnpsol

Hi, I'm trying to install on a Fedora 17 system, it fails with:

checking for inst/npsol/linux/x86/gcc4.7/libnpsol.a... no
configure: error: npsol library not found

I've installed successfully on ubuntu 12.04 (which has gcc v 4.6).

Is would it work to copy over the library, or does this really need to be recompiled?

mspiegel's picture
Yeah, go ahead and check out

Yeah, go ahead and check out a copy of OpenMx from our subversion repository. Then create a new directory /trunk/inst/npsol/linux/x86/gcc4.7 and copy the contents of /trunk/inst/npsol/linux/x86/gcc4.6 into that repository. Then run "make install" from the /trunk directory (you don't need to sudo this command). You can test the library by running "make test".

phurd's picture
thanks!

needed to be root for the install, but painless process, thanks!

mspiegel's picture
It's possible to avoid the

It's possible to avoid the "sudo" requirement with a workaround. Launch the R interpreter (without sudo) and then use install.packages(). Select a package that you might find useful in the future, maybe the "snowfall" package or the "psych" package. The install process should detect the absence of a user library directory, and then ask if you want it to create a directory. Selecting "yes" will eliminate the need for "sudo make install" when building OpenMx. I consider this a bug in the "R CMD INSTALL" script, the R developers probably consider it a feature.