You are here

Interaction among latent variables

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
brauer's picture
Interaction among latent variables

Hi,

Are there any simple procedures in OpenMx that allow us to estimate interactive effects of latent variables? It is possible, of course, to use the Kenny-Judd method to specify the latent product variables "by hand", and to estimate the product indicators and the variances of the latent product variables. However, product variables are generally not normally distributed even if their component variables are normally distributed. I recently read that Klein and colleagues suggested approaches that take into account the degree of non-normality implied by the latent product terms. Klein and Moosbrugger (2000) suggested the "latent moderated structural equations method", which uses a form of the expectation-maximization (EM) algorithm. Klein and Muthén (2006) suggested the "quasi-maximum likelihood estimation method", which uses a simpler algorithm but closely approximates results of the former method. Have any of these approaches been incorporated in OpenMx?

neale's picture
Matrix algebra helps

See

Neale, M.C. (1998) Modeling interaction and nonlinear effects with Mx: A general approach. In: G. Marcoulides & R. Schumacker Interaction and Non-linear Effects in Structural Equation Modeling pp. 43-61. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates http://www.vipbg.vcu.edu/vipbg/Articles/Chap3-ModelingInteraction-43.pdf

for a generalization of Kenny & Judd as an approach for interactive effects of latent variables. I would also consider marginal maximum likelihood methods, such as those recently elaborated by Dylan Molenaar:

http://www.dylanmolenaar.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=10&Itemid=9

as these could be used via mixture distribution analysis. OpenMx is functionally compatible with classic Mx, so Mx scripts can be implemented in OpenMx (though the reverse is not always the case).

pehkawn's picture
Link not working

The link to the Molenaar paper is no longer working. Is this the paper you were referring to?

AdminNeale's picture
Think so

It's been a decade... that may be the one I had in mind. This one also looks useful href="http://www.dylanmolenaar.nl/Murray%20et%20al.%20BGA.pdf" from Dylan's homepage

bwiernik's picture
Here is an archival copy of
bwiernik's picture
Here is an archival copy of
pehkawn's picture
Thank you for posting the link.

Turns out is was the same article I linked. =)

AdminNeale's picture
Coming soon

Hi

We have new algorithms for estimating the effects of interactions among latent variables, due to fundamental work by Dr. Steve Boker. They come with an upgrade to conventional path diagrams, for ease of communication. The new features will be released in beta in the near future (my guess is within a month). Simulations check out nicely, and Dr. Boker is preparing an article describing the new software.

pehkawn's picture
That's great news!

I am curious a to which approaches to latent interaction will be available. Are they established product indicator and/or distribution analytic approaches, or new approaches entirely?

sboker's picture
This is a new approach. It

This is a new approach. It is available (but not documented) in the current release. If you want to try it out, drop me a line to boker at virginia dot edu.