You are here

Recommended stable OpenMx Version

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jkarch's picture
Recommended stable OpenMx Version

I am a bit confused what the latest stable OpenMx Version is. The last news announcement is for 2.0.1, the install script installs 2.2.4 on my linux supercomputer and fails to install 2.2.2 on my mac laptop (see https://openmx.ssri.psu.edu/thread/3997).

carey's picture
same issue here

I also urge OpenMx to update their documentation on what is current. I wasted a bunch of time installing the "latest" version on my mac only to find that it was not the latest version (see http://openmx.psyc.virginia.edu/thread/3992)

Also, what happened to version 2.1.x? Is it bundled with Windows 9? ;)

jpritikin's picture
version confusion

We are very sorry for the confusion. Historically we have distributed OpenMx exclusively on our own website. We are currently working on offering the same version on http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/OpenMx/index.html as well as here. The need to juggle more releases has momentarily overwhelmed our small development team, but we are diligently working to get all the balls back in the air.

jkarch's picture
Thanks for your answer. So

Thanks for your answer. So the current stable version, recommended for "serious" work is 2.2.4?

Mike Cheung's picture
I truly appreciate the OpenMx

I truly appreciate the OpenMx Core Development Team's effort in making the OpenMx available in the CRAN. This is an important milestone as developers can now easily develop their own packages that "depends" on OpenMx. Installing OpenMx by typing 'install.packages("OpenMx")' means a lot to new users and many others who value the quality control imposed on the packages at the CRAN.

My package (metaSEM) also encounters some issues with version 2.2.4. Thanks for the OpenMx Core Development Team's help to address them. Most of these issues have been resolved.

carey's picture
New Version

I just received notice of Version 2.2.4's availability. Thanks and hats off to the developers who put so much time into this!
Greg

carey's picture
Thanks (with a suggestion)

Josh,
I echo jk's thanks. At the same time, I urge you developers to postpone development of new versions of OpenMs and, to avoid "the need to juggle more releases" work on a single stable release--as well as its documentation--for all platforms as well as CRAN. After that is done, work on the next release while fixing bugs/documentation errors in the current release. I should not install version 2.2.2 on a Linux box on May 22 only to find that 10 days later the current Linux version is 2.2.4. (And my Mac version is 2.0.1 and has some incompatibilities with 2.2.x)

Furthermore, please guarantee that recent versions are backward compatible with the old versions. I, as well as other colleagues in Colorado, found this to be especially troubling.

Greg