You are here

3 level Longitudinal MLM - SEM

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
timothyslau@gmail.com's picture
3 level Longitudinal MLM - SEM

I have data with Counties nested within States over Time. I have been told that OpenMX is unable to run a three level MLM SEM and I need to use M+.

Can someone either confirm this for me or point me in the direction of some example code in OpenMX?

mhunter's picture
Depends

Depending on the model of interest, it might be possible in OpenMx. You can do 2-level multilevel models in OpenMx as state space models. You can do 3-level multilevel models in the same way if the level 1 model is in "wide" format. As an example, a latent growth curve model is a 2-level multilevel model where level 1 is in wide format. So, you could do a 3-level model of the growth of children over time where the children are nested within classrooms (three levels: time, child, classroom).

Here's an example of a 2-level multilevel model in state space form: https://github.com/OpenMx/OpenMx/blob/master/inst/models/nightly/MultilevelStateSpaceEx5.R

You could make it a 3-level model as described above by modifying the "WITHIN" (lines 61-65) model to be a latent growth curve instead of a factor model.

So it should be possible. With that said, it would likely be easier in another program.

Hope this helps!