You are here

Using Mixed-effects model in TSSEM for moderation analysis

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
HAMED's picture
Using Mixed-effects model in TSSEM for moderation analysis

Hi Mike,

I am using random-effects MASEM and I would like to include a binary characteristic of the studies in my analysis. Based on your recent paper (Cheung, 2014), I know that mixed-effects model can be used to include study characteristics as the predictors in a MASEM model. However, I was wondering how I can do this using metaSEM codes. I could not find any metaSEM code example in your papers/website that explain how I should code and indicate the study characteristics in tssem1() and tssem2() functions in metaSEM.

Your help would be very much appreciated,

Thank you,
-- Hamed

Cheung, M. W.-L. 2014. "Fixed- and Random-Effects Meta-Analytic Structural Equation Modeling: Examples and Analyses in R," Behavior Research Methods (46:1), pp. 29-40.

Mike Cheung's picture
Hi Hamed, The metaSEM package

Hi Hamed,

The metaSEM package has not implemented methods to handle continuous moderators in TSSEM yet. It is because I am not sure whether it makes sense to do it. If you really want to do it, you may use the meta() function to conduct a multivariate mixed-effects meta-analysis by scaling the moderators to the appropriate zero value in the first stage of analysis. The intercepts represent the covariate-adjusted correlation matrix. You may extract the intercepts and their asymptotic covariance matrix to fit structural models with the wls() function in the stage 2 analysis. There are issues with this approach. You are on your own risk if you use it.

Since your moderator is binary, a better choice is to conduct two separate random-effects TSSEM.

Hope it helps.

Mike